By: Jonathan Goad
With the Browns victory over the New York Jets last night, a very long streak has ended. The last time Browns fan’s got to celebrate was on December 13, 2016. That’s 635 days between wins or nearly two years. The Browns 19-game win-less streak was the second longest since the AFL/NFL merger.
Cleveland had to have been rocking last night. For all they know, they won the Super Bowl.
Two years is a long time to go without winning. Let’s take a look back at some big events that have happened since the Browns last victory.
Most notably, Donald Trump was sworn into office as the 45th President of the United States. As polarizing as it was, having a new President is a monumental event.
In the sports world, we’ve had several things happen since the Browns last win.
- A team that usually puts together winning streaks (not losing streaks) won the Super Bowl. The Patriots made a historic comeback in Super Bowl LI against the Atlanta Falcons. Just as a reminder, it was 28-3 Atlanta with just a few minutes left in the third quarter. Too soon, Falcons fans?
- Then, in the next Super Bowl the Philadelphia Eagles won their first championship. They defeated, guess who, the New England Patriots in a thriller.
Here’s a quick piece of advice, Cleveland. Follow the Patriots recipe and make winning a habit.
- The Golden State Warriors continued their dominance winning back-to-back NBA Championships in 2017 and 2018. (Here’s another franchise to try to model after, Cleveland)
- The Houston Astros won the World Series in 2017.
- It’s worth mentioning that the Chicago Cubs ended their century-long World Series drought a few months prior to the Browns last victory.
- In the NHL, the Pittsburgh Penguins repeated as Stanley Cup Champions in 2017.
- Then in 2018, the Washington Capitals won their first Stanley Cup and are still partying.
- The Alabama Crimson Tide won what seems their like 1,000th Football Championship in 2017.
- UNC won the national championship in basketball in 2017.
- In 2018, Villanova won their second basketball championship in three years.
- Justify won the Triple Crown in Horse Racing.
There’s been more than just championships won over the past two years.
- Las Vegas proved that expansion teams can compete in their first season. The Golden Knights were the runner-ups to the Capitals this past season.
- LeBron James left Cleveland again. This time he headed out west to play for the LA Lakers. (Sorry for bringing this up, Cleveland fans. I probably just spoiled the Browns victory.)
Outside of the sports world, some big things have happened.
- Thanos taught us all to aim for the head.
- Luke Skywalker died.
- Someone other than Harrison Ford played Han Solo, which is still a little weird.
- Winter is most definitely coming.
We could go on and on about the past two years. It’s definitely been exciting, unless you’re the Browns. So congratulations, Cleveland Browns fans! Enjoy this one. You all know to well, how hard getting those “W’s” are.
Categories: NFL, Uncategorized
1 reply »
You must log in to post a comment.