The 2018 NBA Draft is off to the races, later than the scheduled 6 p.m. EST start time — surprise, surprise.
By Spencer Kohout and Neil Harrington
Deandre Ayton going No. 1 overall in the 2018 NBA Draft to the Phoenix Suns is no big surprise. What’s more interesting is the fact that he’s likely taking a pay cut with his transition from college to the pro’s — much like Eric Dickerson did in the NFL in the late 1980’s after his transition from SMU to the Los Angeles Rams.
It can be hard to tell at times whether you’re watching the NBA Draft or the Met Gala, so we’re here to help you make sense of what in the Donkavic you’re seeing right now. Here’s our stream of thoughts on the future of orange ball-wielders.
In case you were snoozing while watching the World Cup and missed the first fourteen picks, known as the NBA lottery, here’s where the “best of the best” went kicking off the 2018 NBA Draft.
2018 NBA Draft Lottery Picks
- Deandre Ayton: C Phoenix Suns Arizona (Fr.)
- Marvin Bagley: PF Sacramento Kings Duke (Fr.)
- Luka Dončić: SG Atlanta Hawks (traded to Dallas) Real Madrid (Spain)
- Jaren Jackson Jr.: PF United States Memphis Grizzlies Michigan State (Fr.)
- Trae Young: PG United States Dallas Mavericks (traded to Atlanta) Oklahoma (Fr.)
- Mohamed Bamba: C Orlando Magic Texas (Fr.)
- Wendell Carter:C Chicago Bulls Duke (Fr.)
- Collin Sexton: PG Cleveland Cavaliers (from Brooklyn via Boston) Alabama (Fr.)
- Kevin Knox: SF New York Knicks Kentucky (Fr.)
- Mikal Bridges: SF Philadelphia 76ers (from L.A. Lakers via Phoenix) Villanova (Jr.)
- : PG Charlotte Hornets (traded to the Los Angeles Clippers Kentucky (Fr.)
- Miles Bridges: SF Los Angeles Clippers (from Detroit, traded to Charlotte) Michigan State (So.)
- Jerome Robinson: SG Los Angeles Clippers Boston College (Jr.)
- Michael Porter Jr.: SF Denver Nuggets Missouri (Fr.)
2018 NBA Draft highlights of the evening
- Trae Young’s fashion sense — a foreshadowing of bad decisions on the court? Who wears shorts to the NBA Draft? No one, until Young.
- A little Nugget for you Mizzou fans; Michael Porter is heading to Denver, dropping all the way down to No.14 overall — bleeding money out of his back with that freefall.
- The NBA Draft continues its trend of trying to populate the NBA entirely with mini-Draymond Greenes — every winning team needs just one, right?
- This year’s token NBA Draft Euro-player, Luka Dončić, went early this year at No. 3 — still a steal in our minds.
- You gotta feel for Kevin Knox, who was booed by Knicks fans in his moment of triumph (evacuate?). Fortunately for him, his stout, ox-like jaw is powered by their jeers.
- You also have to feel Mohamed Bamba, whose sweaty armpits got their own fifteen minutes of fame, when he was asked to raise his arms to show-off his wingspan — a moment he, like us, would like to forget forever.
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander did his Prince impression, donning a floral suit.
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander came through DRIPPIN’ 💧 pic.twitter.com/lNVJzOPAF9
— SLAM (@SLAMonline) June 21, 2018
At least some were more impressed with his attire than Chancey Billups.